Sunday, May 12, 2013

Young budget traveller..

When kak ngah (Siti Ayeshah) told me she was travelling to Singapore with her bff, I was as excited as she was.  But, kak ngah and her bff will be driving until Johor and then leave their car at the bus terminal in Johor Bahru and take the bus to Singapore.  It would have been more adventurous if they hitch hike.  But then, it could be risky, these days...

But then, I did hitch hike from Melaka to Johor Bahru when I was 18 years old.  I was with my girlfriend, Azizah.  I was already working then with Kumpulan Guthrie Sdn Bhd, and took a few days leave to hitch hike. Actually, it was a spur of the moment thing...

Azizah invited me to visit her village in Pengkalan Balak, Melaka, since one of her cousins was getting married. So, we took a bus to her kampung, which was close to the sea.  To get to the beach, it was just a five minutes walk to the beach....

After the wedding, it was time for us to move on.  It was while walking to the bus stop that I got this crazy idea to try and hitch hike... Azizah agreed absolutely!!  So, with my heart thumping...kaboom kaboom boom booom...I put out my thumb (the universal hitch hike signal) whenever we hear a car coming from behind us.

By the time we reached the last house along the main road, no cars stopped to give us a ride...  Well, we could always wait for the next bus.  We were now walking along the road with the forest reserve on both side. Azizah told me the next village was 10km away... she wanted to turn back and wait at the bus stop, when suddenly a huge oil tanker came around the bend...

I quickly raised my thumb and point it southward... and voila!! The tanker stopped by the roadside a few metres away.... I called out to Azizah and we both ran towards the tanker. I opened the door and told Azizah to board first.  The driver had a shocked look on his face!! Hahahaha....

When we were both on board... the driver said, "I thought both of you were boys....this is the first time I give a ride to girl hitch hikers!".  The pakcik was nice.  He took us all the way to Johor Bahru. He treat us lunch at his favourite warung and introduce us to his fellow tanker drivers, and they all advice us to be careful and alert when hitch hiking.....

He dropped us off in town and we thank him and bade goodbye.  He then drove off to Pasir Gudang...

From Johor Bahru, we hitch hike to Batu Pahat to visit one of Azizah's aunties. The next day, we hitch hike again, and got a car which was travelling to Kuala Lumpur.  We got off at Seremban town.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...