Tuesday, December 21, 2010

2nd Day at Kota Kinabalu

(A framed picture of the early descendants of Monsopiad)

(The 'warrior' about to cross the river)

(with the dancers)

(the dancers performing)

(Hubby at the entrance of the hanging bridge)

(me with the 'warrior')

(Hubby in front of the Kadazandusun abode)

(Hubby resting at the House of Skulls balcony)

(the 42 human skulls hanging in the House of Skulls)

(me with another 'warrior', he use the flute to play auld lang syne..)

(with the dancers)

(view of the restaurant/coffee house)

(me with the traditional instruments)

(me on the hanging bridge)

(view from the restauran)

(Hubby resting...)

(at MUIS car park, the city mosque is in the background)

(hubby trying the big bike)

(we chose this one....)

Day 2 - December 17 (Friday)
We had breakfast at the dining hall, Jesselton hotel, at 8am. For breakfast I had 2 eggs sunny side up, 4 pcs toast with butter and jam and green tea (I brought this along from home). Hubby had 2 half boiled eggs (wink wink...hehehee), 2 toasts with butter and jam and English tea.

Nini and her friend, Sylvia, came at 8.30am and they too joined us for breakfast, but they only had coffee. Nini is a friend of Ayeshah, my daughter. They met while studying at Curtin Miri. So this was the first time I met Nini. Sylvia is also from Curtin Miri, and then Curtin Kuala Lumpur and she was Ayeshah's senior. Anyway we chatted for about an hour and then they left to do their errand. Nini adviced us to drive instead of riding the motorbike up to Kinabalu Park. She said the journey is uphill all the way and the road winds a lot...

My husband and I then rode our rented motorbike from the hotel to MUIS (Majlis Ugama Islam Sabah) where hubby wanted to pay his zakat. The last time I rode a bike with hubby was when he was still in University. Wow..... been a lonnnnnngggg time...

From MUIS, we wanted to go to the wildlife sanctuary near Papar. But then, on seeing it was going to take us more than an hour to reach the sanctuary, we abandoned the idea and head towards the Monsopiad Cultural Village in Penampang district.

Monsopiad Cultural Village is privately owned and managed by the 6th descendant of Monsopiad. (I got this info from the tour guide at the village). Monsopiad himself was a warrior who killed his enemies and chopped off their heads, and these heads (now skulls) are still hanging from the beams of the House of Skulls in the village.

After paying the entrance fee at the village, we headed to the restaurant where fresh orange juice were served to us. Also unlimited drinks of coffee or tea.. Since it was a Friday, my husband has to attend Friday prayers at the mosque. There was a mosque about 1km from the village. So I waited for my husband at the restaurant. While waiting, I kept myself busy by taking pictures around the village.

When my husband returned after Friday prayers, we headed to the main hall where a cultural performance will be held. There were cultural dances from the Kadazandusun ethnic. We were invited to perform a simple Kadazandusun dance on stage with the dancers, and I willingly participated with other guests too. Then, after they performed the bamboo dance, it was my husband's turn to go on stage and performed with the dancers.... Hahahaha... my husband was so sporting....

After the cultural performance, we were taken around the village. We visited the Kadazandusun house, tried the blowpipe..., watched how they make rice wine... the padi house...and finally a visit to the House of Skulls...

At the House of Skulls, we have to remove our shoes to enter. Inside, if you look up, you can see 42 skulls hanging on the beam. These are real human skulls. Then there are pictures of the Monsopiad generations. The items used during the rituals to cure Monsopiad's strange illness were on display too.

We left the village around 4.30pm and returned to Kota Kinabalu town. The weather was absolutely fine... no rain at all. Along the way to Kota Kinabalu town, we were on the lookout for a mosque so that I could do my prayers (Jamak and Qasar Asar/Zuhur prayers), but there were hardly any. So we had to stop at the city mosque beside MUIS. Husband waited for me while I had my prayers.

We then had our dinner at the night market. Grilled fish, prawns and squids with white rice. Hot sabah tea for hubby and green tea for me. Then we returned to the hotel. We also decided to rent a car for our trip to Kinabalu park tomorrow. The car, a Myvi was delivered to us the same night.

I thoroughly enjoyed myself, having spent the whole day with my husband... especially riding on the motorbike... Love u very strong dear...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...