Monday, May 10, 2010

Mothers' Day



Sunday 9th May 2010 was Mothers' Day. I have never celebrated Mothers' Day with my mother. It was never a ritual to celebrate it yearly. To me, everyday is Mothers' Day. I would cherish every little things my mother did for me and my brothers. My mother was 18 years old when she gave birth to me.

She did not go to University or had a career, but she could speak, read and write fluent English. She studied at a Convent in Seremban until Form Five. I realised she was never a sportswoman, because she did not play any sports. But.... she could ride a bicycle like a 'tomboy'. That was what one of my aunties told me.

My mother could cook any dish, bake any biscuits and cakes, and could sew clothes, knit, crochet and took care of the house, my dad, and my siblings too. Shes just superb!! I love her so dearly.

But it was different with my own children. They would celebrate Mothers' Day every year, ever since they were in Secondary School. I always told them it was not necessary, not an obligation to give me a cake and a present. Perhaps to them, it has become a trend. All their friends did it, so should they.

I am different from my mother. I can never cook so well, I dislike baking, and I could only mend clothes and do cross-stitch (which I love doing). I did try to learn knitting and crocheting, but it never worked out. I was just not interested. In fact, I only learn to cook when I got married, since my mother was not around to cook for me. I lived with my husband and mother was an hour's drive away. So, I bought cookery books and seek tips from my colleagues in the office. I was too shy to ask from mother. Cooking for my husband, the first time, was a disaster!! Oh well, but then....

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...